Thursday, September 22, 2011

Boobapalooza

TeeTee, Tracey, Christine and I went to Whistler for the weekend.  Christine had free passes on the Rocky Mountaineer train and Tracey had won the weekend at a fundraiser in April for Children's Hospital.  It was a luxury suite at the Pan Pacific and we were looking forward to getting away.  I sure as heck wasn't going to let me having cancer stop us!  We all decided to stay overnight at my parents', as they live close to the train station and we wouldn't have to get up as early.  We woke up to champagne and orange juice - at 6:30 a.m.!



As we were boarding the train, the locked-out employees hurled comments at us and I felt so bad I said I'd like to go back and explain to them that we'd won the trip, I had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and, well, just give them all hugs and tell them I hoped they'd be back to work soon.  I refrained.  I'd still like to send them all cards or something.



On the train ride up, the announcement was that tea and coffee would be served and, starting at 9:30 a.m., there would be beer and wine offered.  Being the good Canadian girl I am, I yelled out, "Yahoo!"  Apparently I was the only one to do so - yeah, that was embarrassing.  Two other couples thought it was funny enough that they wanted to party with us.  So we made new friends, one of whom was just finished all her chemo and had a short hairdo already present.  The men said they'd buy us a round; their wives didn't think so.  We ended up laughing with them on the train and then agreed to meet up with them in Whistler over the weekend.



We deemed the weekend "Boobapalooza" and managed to get free drinks everywhere we went.  After all, who could resist these women telling the servers/bartenders/train staff/anyone who would listen, that their friend had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and was losing her beloved breast?  Still didn't seem like it was me they were referring to.  We went to Ric's for lunch and our waitress turned out to be the bartender so she created signature drinks for us.  They were amazing.  She followed that with a free round of shooters.  Christine pointed out that we needed to get to the liquor store before it closed.  She looked at her watch and said, "It's already...oh...one o'clock...um...never mind."  We all burst out laughing.



At the hotel, I asked if any of them would like to "feel my tumour", as I know I would be curious.  TeeTee went first and instantly wiped her hands on my shirt to make sure it didn't get into her system.  Then the other two felt it as well.  I asked TeeTee to take a picture, one from the front and one from me leaning over so my heavier, tumour-filled breast would hang lower to show the difference.  They were all shocked.  Then I said, "Well, don't you think it's only fair since you saw mine that I should see yours?"  They thought I was kidding.  Then when they realized I was serious, and after much cajoling and peer-pressuring, they relented.  TeeTee went first with some excuse or other about being a young mom so hers had deflated and headed south long ago.  Then it was Christine's turn.  She is fairly shy and quiet.  She was blushing but like a trooper flashed us all.  We all said she had lovely breasts.  Then Tracey, who had pretended she needed to use the washroom, returned and reluctantly joined in.  We all agreed hers were the nicest and perkiest.  I was happy to see we all had the same nipple colour.  It was a real bonding experience.  That memory is a very special one for me, and a great source of laughter for us all.  Apparently what happens in Whistler doesn't stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment