Saturday, October 29, 2011

From Running to Walking

They say everything happens for a reason but we just don't always know what that reason is.  Some say it's fate, some say it's coincidence, others say it's up to God and that we don't know our path, that He lays it out ahead of us and we are just going to have to be patient.  Patience has never been one of my strong points so I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and taking this path one day at a time.

Recently, I spent 15 months paying off a huge debt load.  At the time, I found it very difficult and frustrating to have to couch-surf and give up everything to just focus on getting that done.  It was like I was driven to put that behind me and move on.  Looking back, of course, it all makes sense because if I still had that debt on top of being unemployed during treatment, I would be in pretty dire straits.  It also confirmed what I already knew - I have very supportive friends and family, who allowed me to share their homes to get this task done.

And over the past couple of years in order to stay positive and strong, I have worked my body out like never before and become pretty strong and healthy "for a woman my age".  Always love that compliment.  Good thing I did that because that will allow me to fight harder and have a better chance of a positive outcome from treatments.  Learning through the experience of others and how they've lost their appetite and, therefore, quite a bit of weight during chemotherapy, I've put on 30 pounds since being diagnosed three months ago.  It's a proactive move on my part.  I have to say I'm not happy to feel blobby and out of shape.  I look at it as a challenge for Nadine, Erin and Holly to whip me back into shape when the time comes.
 
I went from riding my bike, running, hiking, fitness classes and Grouse Grinding to walking.  Since my mastectomy, I have had to stop all activities that could cause further and possibly permanent damage to my left arm.  That even seems to include typing and sweeping.  It also feels strange to my chest to ride a bike and stretch in that direction.  So walking it is.  During my chemo treatments, I am to walk every day to help the blood flow and, therefore, distribute the chemicals throughout my body efficiently.  Even on the days when I'll want to lay on the couch, I'm to force myself to get up and get moving.
 
I'm not really complaining, though, because I know I'm lucky to be able to walk and that someday I will be able to workout again and get back into my usual activities.  At least that's the plan.  One day at a time.  I have to learn to be at peace with my path and, above all, continue to be patient about everything.  Like I said, that's not one of my strong points.  Walk anyone?




Enjoying a climb at Wild Play


Running 10K for Underwear Affair for Cancers Down There in Memory of Scott McEachern


Cycling for ALS and the Sands Family


Me with Nanci showing off our pipes



2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog entries, Karen. I'm so glad you're staying positive and healthy through all of this. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fabulous woman Karen through the not so good moments to the great days. Wishing you healing positive energy for tomorrows surgery. Thinking of you and keeping the healing positive energy flowing throughout your journey.

    Wishing you-now and always-with the gift of Irish cheer and beer :)(lots of iron). wishing you a happy heart and keep you through the years.


    I drink to your health when I'm with you,
    I drink to your health when I'm alone,
    I drink to your health so often,
    I'm starting to worry about my own

    Shaunna btw i have some good pills you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete