Sunday, November 06, 2011

To The Moon, Alice!

I met Tracey (aka Alice) about 25 years ago at a bus stop.  We were with another woman, Gill, and the three of us struck up a conversation and became friends.  Throughout the years, we've been in and out of touch raising families, living in different places and just busy living life.  A few years ago, Gill invited Tracey and me for coffee and we were all reunited once again.  Turns out, Tracey and I landed in the same town, living only minutes apart so our friendship has blossomed.  Our lives have taken very similar twists and turns so we understand each other when no one else can relate.

When I was couch-surfing, she gave up her very comfortable bed for me.  She cooked me amazing meals, we shared way too much wine and could just sit and watch a TV movie in silence.  When I was ready to set down roots again and move out on my own, she was excited with me.  I needed a dresser; she gave me one of hers to use.  When I secured a landline, she loaned me her cordless phones.  She even provided a wine rack for my home-brewed bottles of Shiraz.  It just works like that - whatever one needs, the other helps to provide.  So far, I think the only thing I've provided is omelettes - she loves my omelettes.

We were going to a local event, an annual Caribbean Festival, and when I picked her up, I said I needed to stop at the clinic.  She asked what was wrong and I said I found a lump and was scared it was serious.  She got teary right away, asked a couple of questions and came with me.  (see blog, Breast Cancer?  Me?) 

A couple of weeks later, we were set to go to Las Vegas with two other girlfriends, Ethel (see blog, Lucy and Ethel) and Jenn.  Tracey was going to be my roommate.  We were very excited to be getting away and to have this fun adventure together.  Days before we were to leave, my fear came true: I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I knew it was going to break her heart, as she is a very kind and sensitive soul and does not like to see anyone hurt.  I took her hands in mind, looked her in the eyes, and said, "It's not good, honey."  She was shocked and saddened at the news but we vowed to go to Vegas and have the time of our lives, heavy-hearted with the knowledge things were going to be rough when we got back. 

On the drive to the airport, we all agreed once we hit the border to not speak of cancer, to just enjoy our trip and have a lot of laughs.  I truly believe it's the best medicine.  I felt I was a little slow on our trip but Tracey was very gracious and declared she still couldn't keep up with me.  When we were going to the hotel swimming pool and I put on my bathing suit top, I was shocked to see that my left breast was visibly larger than my right.  I started crying and couldn't stop.  Tracey comforted me and helped me position it in my top so it wasn't as noticeable.  She said, "Look at that cleavage!" to which I replied, "You mean I finally get cleavage and it's caused by a tumour?!"  That was it.  I wiped my eyes dry and we spent the entire day in the pool.  Of course, the rest of that story stays in Vegas!

It was in Vegas that Tracey was dubbed "Alice".  She and Jenn felt they needed nicknames, as Ethel and I had been dubbed Lucy and Ethel for quite a while.  So we decided Tracey would be Alice and Jenn would be Trixie.
 
The best thing about Tracey is that no matter what we're doing, watching TV, sipping wine, shopping, fundraising or just talking, you know you're in the company of a true friend.  She has my back and I have hers.  We always want the best for each other and are always kind to one another.  When one hurts, the other cries.  When one laughs, the other celebrates.  We will be friends forever more, from Vegas to harsh reality - and even to the moon, Alice!


Tracey loving me in Whistler!


Me with Tracey at I Like Mike - Walk for ALS


Me with Tracey at the CIBC Run for the Cure


Me with Tracey at the Pinkness in Pitt Party!



No comments:

Post a Comment