Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The Epic and Unforgettable Pinkness in Pitt Party

Last Saturday night will forever remain one of my fondest memories.  There was a ton of laughter, a few tears and many gentle hugs throughout the evening.  Lori invited us all to her Manor for a pre-chemotherapy pick-me-up party and she nailed it!  When I walked into her home, I immediately was drawn to the pink decorations she used to dress her dining room.  Lori and I admit we are not the most creative people so she definitely outdid herself.

Ethel (Sabrina) was our bartender and photographer for the evening.  I started with a cosmopolitan and then asked her what she was drinking.  She said it was a crantini and invited me to take a sip.  I left her the cosmo and drank crantinis for the rest of the night.  I think that may become close to Shiraz on my party list.

Guests arrived, one after the other, until there were more than 20 friends in attendance.  I was thrilled to see each and every one.  I couldn't really hug anyone so just leaned in for kisses.  Post-mastectomy, I hugged with my right side, saying, "This is my good side."  Since I had just had my power port surgically implanted two days prior into my right chest, I really didn't have a good side.  However, where there's a will, there's a way and Susie found it.  She said my backside was my good side and hugged me from behind.  So sweet.

Patty brought a cake she'd had made that was topped with a photograph of Team K3 from our CIBC Run for the Cure and it was inscribed, "We Love You Karen".  Leanne made a tray of pink-frosted cupcakes and arranged them in the shape of the breast cancer ribbon.  Nadine brought her signature (and always delicious) strawberries dipped in chocolate, all arranged on a pink heart-shaped platter.  There were trays and dips and fattening goodies everywhere - the table was a feast!

I received a couple of gifts from guests who had to leave early: Adele with a lovely flower-embellished toque-and-scarf matching set.  Gail presented me with a gift from her friend (see blog, The Kindness of Strangers).  Gail had to excuse herself early, as she was volunteering at a fundraising event for sick children.  I gave her $20 to donate and said to buy a 50/50 ticket or raffle basket.  Nadine had to leave to cheer for her daughter in a hockey game.  I was just touched that although they all have such busy lives, these friends took the time to come and spend the evening with me.

As people arrived with gift bags, I honestly thought it was someone's birthday and I'd dropped the ball.  Then it became apparent that there was a theme and everyone had brought things to comfort me through chemotherapy.  Everything from toques, hats, scarves, mitts and socks to jewellery, a book, a CD, ornaments and a pink rock.  A very special pink rock.  My friend, Audrey, presented me with her gift bag and said part of it was from her daughter, the always gracious Kate.  Kate wrote a beautiful sentiment and prayer for me.  She explained that she'd found this rock at the river and painted it pink.  She had used the rock during her prayer for me and then inscribed it with, "Zephaniah 3:17" and wrapped it as a gift.  A very caring gesture from such a sweet girl.

Then there was the bald cap.  Leanne decorated two bald caps with "K3", flowers and rhinestones.  She recalled me mentioning that the oncologist said I couldn't carry out my plan to henna tattoo "K3 4EVR" on my bald head, as the ink may actually leach into my bloodstream so it wasn't allowed.  I was disappointed and this was Leanne's way of solving that.  She made herself one, as she is one of the friends shaving her head in my honour, so we got a preview of how we will look hairless.

There were many laughs and compliments as I tried on different hats.  I've never considered myself to carry off the hat look well at all but knowing I will have no choice, as I'll be bald just as winter arrives, has made me appreciate the humour and fashion of it all.  I now have enough hats and scarves that if I mix-and-match well, I won't wear the same two for the duration of my treatment.  I felt very spoiled and extremely loved by all the thought, attention and care that went into choosing just the right gift from each and every friend.

The lesson for me is to allow others to give.  I know from experience that giving to someone else or to a cause is a great way to help us cope with difficult situations.  While it is incredibly humbling and somewhat embarrassing to be on the recipient end, the outpouring of love that goes with each act of kindness lifts my spirits and helps me see the big picture - that no matter what's thrown my way, I have an army of people to walk with me, sometimes pushing me from behind to keep me going, each step of the way through this battle.  And for that, there aren't enough words to express my gratitude and appreciation except to say to you all, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 
Oh, and when I got home I had a message from Gail.  She used my $20 for 50/50 tickets and I won - $167!  What an ending to already fantastic night!  Three days later, my cheeks are still sore from smiling.  Now, that's a pain I can live with!


Table decorations at the Manor


More Pinkess



My beautiful cake!  Thanks Patty!


Nadine's Strawberries


Leanne's Cupcakes!


Ethel Shakin' Up the Martinis!


Me Enjoying a Crantini!


Me and Leanne - Embracing the Baldness!


Me with Susie Toasting Our Friendship


Taylor Rockin' the Mohawk


Bev, Sheilah, Sharon and Me


Me and Lori - Cheers!


TeeTee and Ethel



Friends Modelling Hats (and Leanne still bald)










No comments:

Post a Comment